On Saturday, February 17, at 4 pm, Historic Huguenot Street (HHS) will host “Mapping the Patent,” a presentation of the first land survey of the New Paltz patent and its early divisions.
On May 26, 1677, 12 Huguenot refugees signed an agreement with sachems of the Esopus Munsee tribe for approximately 39,683 acres of land that would be called New Paltz.
On September 15, 1677, New York Governor Edmund Andros confirmed the purchase, and on September 29, 1677, Governor Andros issued a patent for the land and made the tract an official township. For 340 years, the tract of land was never officially surveyed – until now. [Read more…] about Historic Huguenot Street Hosts ‘Mapping the Patent’