Phase one of the project to restore the original 18th-century roof framing of the Jean Hasbrouck House (ca. 1721) in New Paltz, at Historic Huguenot Street (HHS) has begun.
The Jean Hasbrouck House is a specific and rare example of traditional Dutch 18th-century architecture. The house’s high-pitched gable roof spans twice the depth of other stone houses from the period and is one of a kind in the United States.
The house was named a National Historic Landmark in 1967 and serves as the flagship house of seven historic house museums comprising Historic Huguenot Street’s 10-acre National Historic Landmark District (awarded 1960). Continue reading
Historic Huguenot Street (HHS) has been awarded a $59,966 grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Humanities Collections and Reference Resources program to support planning for the preservation and digitization of selections from its own archival collections, as well as collections from the Town of New Paltz, the Reformed Church of New Paltz, and the Haviland-Heidgerd Historical Collection at the Elting Memorial Library in New Paltz. This is the third NEH grant awarded to HHS in two years. Continue reading
Stone House Day, a former annual tradition in New Paltz is set to return on Saturday, September 8th, 2018, celebrating the 340th anniversary of the settling of New Paltz by twelve French Huguenot refugees in 1678.
Seven historic stone houses will be open for public tours or viewing, two of which have been closed for many years. Performances, skits, and vendor demonstrations will take place throughout the day while artisans and craftspeople sell handmade goods. Members of the 5th NY Regiment will bring reenactors from multiple time periods, engaging in musket firing, candle making, sewing, blacksmithing, and other activities. Continue reading
On Saturday, February 17, at 4 pm, Historic Huguenot Street (HHS) will host “Mapping the Patent,” a presentation of the first land survey of the New Paltz patent and its early divisions.
On May 26, 1677, 12 Huguenot refugees signed an agreement with sachems of the Esopus Munsee tribe for approximately 39,683 acres of land that would be called New Paltz.
On September 15, 1677, New York Governor Edmund Andros confirmed the purchase, and on September 29, 1677, Governor Andros issued a patent for the land and made the tract an official township. For 340 years, the tract of land was never officially surveyed – until now. Continue reading
Historic Huguenot Street (HHS) has announced the hiring of a new Executive Director, Liselle LaFrance.
LaFrance has served as the Director of Historic Cherry Hill in Albany for 26 years. In this role, she oversaw development of a long-range interpretive plan, including an award-winning tour, “The Rankins of Cherry Hill: Struggling with the Loss of Their World,” featured in the June 2003 issue of the Journal of American History.
Historic Cherry Hill was also the recipient of a 2009 “Outstanding Commitment to the Preservation and Care of Collections” award from the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC) and Heritage Preservation, and a 2014 Stewardship Award from the Historic Albany Foundation, and LaFrance received an individual 2014 Award of Merit from the Museum Association of New York (MANY). Continue reading
Historic Huguenot Street recently hosted the annual meeting of the Traditional Timber Frame Research and Advisory Group (TTRAG) at the 10-acre National Historic Landmark District in the Village of New Paltz.
TTRAG is a special-interest group within the Timber Framers Guild based in Bellingham, Washington, dedicated to serving as a center for information on the centuries-old craft of timber framing. The event brought experts working on timber frame projects on historic buildings, barns, and bridges from around the world to share technical presentations and information. Projects in such diverse locations as Myanmar and Latvia were presented and discussed over the weekend. Continue reading
Historic Huguenot Street now has on display over a dozen American and Dutch kasten (singular: kast), or Dutch-style cupboards, from the museum’s Permanent Collection and selected loans, throughout the Jean Hasbrouck House (ca. 1721) and Abraham Hasbrouck House (ca. 1721 through 1741) through December 17, 2017.
The exhibition is incorporated in Historic Huguenot Street’s general tours, and three special-focus tours that will be held Saturday, October 14 (3 pm), Thursday, November 9 (3 pm), and Saturday, December 16 (2 pm). Special tours are $20. Advance registration is available at online. Continue reading
Historic Huguenot Street (HHS) will showcase 17th-century Dutch culture at its annual Fall Harvest Celebration on September 30, 2017. This year’s annual event will include an exclusive preview of two extraordinary exhibitions that recognize the endurance of Dutch culture and the history of the New Netherland Colony throughout the Hudson Valley.
The Celebration will be held from 6 to 9:30 pm in an illuminated tent on the lawn of the historic Deyo House, the site’s singular Queen Anne-style mansion. Continue reading
Historic Huguenot Street has announced the addition of seven members to the Board of Trustees, as well as the reappointment of three existing Trustees.
Veronica Claypool Butler, Alicia DeMarco, Bonney Hartley, Carol Johnson, Steven Miller, Laura Washington, and Dr. AJ Williams-Myers have been appointed for their first full three-year terms. Continue reading
Historic Huguenot Street has curated a new exhibit entitled John Hasbrouck, “A Most Estimable Citizen,” now on display at the DuBois Visitor Center, 81 Huguenot Street, through June 27, 2017.
John Hasbrouck was born to an enslaved woman in New Paltz in 1806 and, later, as a freeman, was able to purchase land in the town. He is commonly believed to be the first African American eligible to vote in New Paltz. The exhibit features original records; two account books in John’s own hand, listing work he did for white farmers and how he was compensated; as well as personal notes, letters, and receipts. The exhibit is accompanied by a full-length, biographical essay written by Josephine Bloodgood, Director of Curatorial and Preservation Affairs. Continue reading