Lauren Robinson is set to join the Oneida County History Center as a digital archivist. This part-time position is funded by an anonymous donor to facilitate the History Center’s ongoing digitization efforts. [Read more…] about Oneida History Center Adds Digital Archivist
Preservation Long Island has announced their 2019 Endangered Historic Places List, consisting of four sites that reflect Long Island’s historic resources and cultural heritage.
Every year important historic places across Long Island are threatened by a variety of adverse conditions, from outright demolition to a lack of appreciation for their historic value, or the inability to develop sustainable long-term plans for preservation and stewardship.
In 2010, Preservation Long Island (formerly the Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities), established the Endangered Historic Places Program (EHPP) with the goal of raising region-wide support for historic places facing precarious circumstances. [Read more…] about Long Island’s 2019 Endangered Historic Places List
On March 31st, the Friends of Grant Cottage held their Annual Meeting at Saratoga Spa State Park. The meeting is held every spring to discuss the financial standing of the Cottage and their achievements from the previous year, as well as news and special events for the upcoming season. [Read more…] about Friends of Grant Cottage Marking 30 Years
A discussion about urban renewal in the Hudson Valley and exploring creative ways communities mobilize around contested landscapes has been set for Sunday, April 7th, from 3 to 5 pm, at the Fullerton Center, 297 Grand Street, Newburgh. [Read more…] about Reframing Urban Renewal in Newburgh Sunday
There will be a groundbreaking ceremony for the reconstruction of the BOCES barn at one of Orange County, New York’s most distinctive landmarks, Goshen Historic Track, which opened in 1838.
Partially destroyed by a fire in 2017, the world’s oldest operating harness racing track is rebuilding to preserve a uniquely American tradition and continue serving as a community greenspace. The BOCES barn, so named because it was an extension of the Board of Cooperative Educational Services, functioned as a training center focusing on equestrian care and farm management. The Track’s historic blacksmith and farrier shop was also lost in the fire.
In a posting here on November 22, 2015 (“An Imperiled Civil War Memorial”), I related the history to that date of the Cattaraugus County Memorial and Historical Building in Little Valley. More than two hundred Civil War veterans attended the dedication of the Memorial and Historical Building in September 1914. The inscription on a plaque above the entrance defined the Memorial as the county’s most significant Civil War monument: “To the memory of its soldiers and sailors in the War of the Rebellion, this building is erected by Cattaraugus County.” [Read more…] about Historic Preservation Progress At Imperiled Civil War Memorial
Gravestone and Cemetery Care, an instructional program by Marianne Greenfield of Gravestone Cleaning Service, Delhi, has been set for Sunday, March 24th at 1 pm at the Time and the Valleys Museum on St. Rt. 55 in Grahamsville, Sullivan County. [Read more…] about Gravestone Care Program in Sullivan County
The Office of Parks Recreation and Historic Preservation (State Parks) and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) are preparing a Unit Management Plan (UMP) for both the Crown Point State Historic Site and the Crown Point Campground and Day Use Area.
Public comments are sought on the UMP, which will address the future management of both properties, including 440-acres along the shores of Lake Champlain, including the remains of two 18th century French and British forts. [Read more…] about Crown Point Historic Site Management Comments Sought
While attendance at New York State Parks and Historic Sites has been increasing, staffing levels are on the decline advocates say, as much 22% in the past seven years. That means a decrease in lifeguards, park maintenance, and rangers, a decrease in public pool hours, and more trash and vandalism. [Read more…] about Feinman: Staffing Issues At State Historic Sites
On March 1, Fraunces Tavern Museum revealed the results of its Long Room Enhancement Project to the public for the first time.
Museum Director, Jacqueline Masseo, who spearheaded the project, and Facilities & Operations Manager, Eric Sussman, who oversaw the design’s installation, cut a ribbon at a ceremony attended by the entire Museum staff on February 28.
The room is the historic site where George Washington bid an emotional farewell to his officers on December 4, 1783 following the end of the American Revolution. For over a hundred years since the Museum’s opening 1907, the Long Room has served as a portal to the past for thousands of New York City School children and tourists.