The Fort Bull Research Group is set to host a walking tour of Fort Bull on July 14, 2019. The tour, which will depart from the Rome Sports Hall of Fame parking lot, 5790 Rome-New London Road, in Rome, NY, starts promptly at 1 pm and will last about two hours.
Attendees will first be given a brief history of the area during the French and Indian War followed by a guided tour of the entire fort property.
Fort Bull, which was originally constructed at the western end of the Oneida Carrying Place, served as a British supply depot from 1755 until March 27, 1756 when it was destroyed during a surprise attack led by the French. Within a few months of its destruction, a replacement fort had been built on or near where the original fort stood and was named Fort Wood Creek. Today, the earthen remains of this fort with its bastions, moat, dam, and powder magazine can still be seen. Also featured on this tour is the only remaining portion of the original ancient Carry Road or De-O-Wain-Sta and the famous Fort Bull Oak.
This tour is being provided by the Fort Bull Research Group as part of its ongoing collaborative efforts with the Rome Historical Society. Since 2014, both entities have worked closely together with the goal of increasing public access and awareness of the Society’s Fort Bull property in order to support its continued preservation.
Note that access to Fort Bull is by foot only, wear appropriate footgear for dirt pathways and grassy areas. There are no restroom facilities available.
The Rome Historical Society is located at 200 Church Street, Rome. For more information call (315) 336-5870.
Photo of Fort Bull Wood Creek Tour provided by Rome Historical Society.