On March 14, 2019 the French and Indian War fortification known as Fort Wood Creek was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Fort Wood Creek, located on the Rome Historical Society’s Fort Bull property, dates to 1756 when it was constructed by the British to replace Fort Bull after it had been attacked and destroyed by 362 French and their Native allies.
With various efforts to preserve the property going back generations, it was not until 2015 that the Fort Bull Research Group nominated the site for review by the New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation Office for listing on the State and National Historic register.
The National Register is the nation’s official list of properties worthy of preservation. Listing on the National Register recognizes the importance of these properties to the history of our country. Properties owned by not-for-profits are eligible to apply for state historic preservation matching grants.
Fort Wood Creek and the Fort Bull property was also in the news recently when an American Battlefield Protection Program Grant in the amount of $68,000 was awarded to the Public Archaeology Facility at SUNY Binghamton to conduct an archaeological survey of the Fort and surrounding area in order to identify the remnants of the Battle of Fort Bull which occurred on March 27, 1756. Also known to be in the vicinity of the Fort Wood Creek/ Bull property is the remains of the Western Inland Lock Navigation Canal, The First Contract Portion of the Erie Canal and the watered remains of the Improved Erie Canal.
The Rome Historical Society is located at 200 Church Street, Rome. For more information, call (315) 336-5870, or visit their website.
Photo of Fort Wood Creek provided by Rome Historical Society.