Representatives of the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor and New York State Canal Corporation were joined by local officials recently to unveil a new three-sided sign at the Seneca Harbor Park in Watkins Glen.
The sign shares the history of Watkins Glen as a canal town and includes a walk zone map to help visitors find nearby services.
The Cayuga-Seneca Canal was built to connect the Finger Lakes with the Erie Canal. The Chemung Canal connected Seneca Lake with the Chemung River and canals in Pennsylvania. Watkins Glen became a busy port. Boats carrying coal and lumber on the Chemung Canal passed through on their way from Pennsylvania to cities and factories along the Erie Canal until the Chemung Canal closed in 1878.
Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor, in partnership with the NYS Canal Corporation, is installing dockside exhibit panels and wayfinding signs in 40 communities located within the national heritage corridor. The new signs share canal history and help boaters and other canal visitors find their way to services.
The sign unveiling in Watkins Glen followed the quarterly meeting of the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor Commission and Erie Canalway Heritage Fund Board.
For more information on the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor, visit their website.
Photo of Representatives unveiling the new sign at Seneca Waterfront Park in Watkins Glen provided.