The Whallonsburg Grange Hall, has announce that it has purchased Whitcomb’s Garage in Whallonsburg, the vacant building and land directly across Whallons Bay Road from the Grange.
The 1950s-era garage, on a 1.5-acre lot along the Boquet River, was owned by Clarence “Narni” Whitcomb. Whitcomb was a lifelong resident of Whallonsburg who sold and serviced cars there until the 1990s; he died in 2017.
The purchase was made possible through a dedicated, anonymous donation.
The Whallonsburg Grange Hall, built by the local Grange chapter in 1915, was renovated and restored through a ten-year-long volunteer effort. It is now open year-round as a community and performing arts center for the mid-Champlain Valley and hosts a film series, concerts, plays, lectures, and children’s activities.
For more information about the Whitcomb property contact the Grange at (518) 963-7777 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo of Whitcomb’s Garage in Whallonsburg courtesy Adirondack Architectural Heritage.
A version of this article first appeared on the Adirondack Almanack.