Lost British Forts of Long Island

By on

lost british forts of long islandAn evening lecture, Lost British Forts of Long Island by David Griffin, has been set for Thursday, August 23rd at 6:30 pm at the Fraunces Tavern Museum, 54 Pearl Street, New York.

When the Revolutionary War broke out and New York City had fallen in 1776, the British forces developed a network of forts along the length of Long Island to defend the New York area and create a front to Patriot forces across the Sound in Connecticut.

Author David Griffin will discuss the network of fortifications on Long Island covered within his book titled Lost British Forts of Long Island, and describe more details regarding his research on a few of the key posts on the island. Attendees can learn about new and ongoing research within the inner city areas of Brooklyn and Queens.

Tickets are $5 for Museum Members, $10 for the public. Includes Museum admission and light refreshments.

For more information or to purchase tickets, click here.

8 thoughts on “Lost British Forts of Long Island

1. Michael DeBonis

I saw the News 12 (Long Island) segment concerning Griffin’s book (mentioned here) by Danielle Campbell. It was very impressive and intriguing. Specifically, Griffin searches for an answer to the riddle of Nassau County’s Fort Nonsense…I will be digging into this conundrum sometime next year. The fort was supposedly to be located somewhere near Hempstead Town. But I think David Griffin raises many other essential and significant historical issues about Long Island’s Revolutionary past. Would Fort Nonsense have become a target for Culper spies Colonel Benjamin Tallmadge and Lieutenant Caleb Brewster? I don’t know…but this question and the many others Griffin’s book raises about the British war strategy on LI are certainly worth looking into…This is a text I plan on getting soon. Best to Mr. Griffin and his fans!

M. DeBonis.

1. David Griffin

Hi Michael and thank-you for your interest in the book and its research. Intriguing question regarding Tallmadge and Brewster and the conundrum of Fort Nonsense…. Fort Nonsense is engulfed with mystery. Equally compelling is its mysterious disappearance, and Its connection or disconnection possibly from the local Quaker population. There is also the strong possibility that it was built and commanded by the ruthless Banastre Tarleton. Did someone try to hide it and erase it from the history books?? The great myth about it continues…..

David M. Griffin
      Author: Lost British Forts of Long Island

2. David M. Griffin

Thank-you Michael for your comment and interest in the book and its research. Intriguing question about Benjamin Tallmadge and Caleb Brewster and the conundrum of Fort Nonsense.
    Just as intriguing is the apparent disappearance of Fort Nonsense..It is engulfed in mystery. There is also the myth of its connection to the local Quaker population and the strong possibility that it was built and commanded by the ruthless Banastre Tarleton… Did someone try to hide it or erase it from the history books??? The myth continues…..
    David M. Griffin

3. Michael M. DeBonis

Tarleton is not one of my favorite people. Your observation here is fascinating. Fort Nonsense may have been the scene gross British crimes…which could have hastened its demise. Also, if the Brits were using it as a bank (to supply their Long Island garrisons with coin)…it would have been a top target for Continental soldiers. Local Quakers (amongst them, Culper Jr.) would also have been quick to act to strip the fort bare, if the fort had anything of value in it. But after seven harsh years of British occupation, Fort Nonsense’s walls could have been “pilfered” from by the locals, simply because the Yankees were in dire need of scarcely available building supplies (at the Revolution’s end). All of this is creative circumspection, but we will be digging into this matter more thoroughly in the future. Great to hear from you Mr. Griffin!

Best always,
    Michael M. DeBonis.

4. Michael M. DeBonis

l also thank you for your supplying vital historical research, which is essential to understanding my own. You have provided at least two valuable threads to follow in resolving Fort Nonsense’s enigma. I wish you all the best in all your future work and endeavors. Perhaps if we reach out to British historians, we may find the answers we are looking for here. But in any event, I am honored by your response.

M. DeBonis.

5. David Griffin

If you have not already seen my other piece on the Journal of the American Revolution(below link) please read as it tells more of the story.
    I do think there was stockpile of either supplies and/or money that was flowing into Jericho and that it was also somewhat safe from the coastal towns amongst the religious inhabitants. I have also heard that Tarleton spent his winter seasons gambling, which could also explain the need for his fierce forage for money endeavors.

6. Michael M. DeBonis

Mr. Griffin,
    This conversation is getting better and better! I will eventually write a piece about Tarleton…but not for quite awhile. I will gladly read your article. And I appreciate your info. I did research another text about Quaker families of Nassau County…The Townsend family name was mentioned in connection to Fort Nonsense…I wonder if this is Culper Jr.’s family…As yet, I can’t be sure. I’m going to have to get my hands on your book. I look forward to reading it.
    Your explanation of the fort’s location and of that wacko Tarleton’s greedy and sleazy living are convincing ones. Best to you and your research.

Michael DeBonis.