Fort Bull Day Fundraiser in Rome NY


By on

Fort Wood CreekA Fort Bull Day Fundraiser has been set for Saturday, May 26 from 10 am to 3 pm at the Rome Historical Society located at 200 Church Street in Rome NY.

This event, which coincides with the annual French and Indian War weekend at Fort Stanwix National Monument, is a collaborative effort between the Rome Historical Society and the Fort Bull Research Group with a goal to raise funds for the continued preservation and maintenance of the Society’s Fort Bull Property.

Fort Bull, originally constructed at the western end of the Oneida Carrying Place, served as a supply depot from 1755 until March 27, 1756, when it was destroyed during a surprise attack led by the French. Within a month of its destruction, the Fort was rebuilt and the earthen remains of its bastions, moat, dam, powder magazine along with remnants of the Ancient Carry Road can all still be seen today.

Featured at this event will be the author of Fort Stanwix: Guardian of the Carry Alan Sterling, the Fort Brewerton Society, the Daughters of the American Revolution, the Historic Preservation Advisory Committee, Rome Investigators of the Paranormal, Native American Jewelry by Margaret Sexton, Sarita’s Food Truck, Nicky Doodles Ice Cream, Displays, Presentations and More.

Two walking tours of Fort Bull will also be conducted by the Research Group and depart from the Erie Canal Village parking lot, 5789 Rome-New London Rd, promptly at 12:30 and 5 pm. Note that access to Fort Bull for these tours will be by foot only.

The event is open to the public.

For more information, call the Rome Historical Society at (315) 336-5870 or visit their website.

Photo of Fort Wood Creek provided.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *