The restoration of the Red Creek Schoolhouse on the grounds of the Rogers Mansion Museum Complex, a property of the Southampton History Museum, is set to be celebrated on Saturday, May 5 from 2 to 4 pm.
Built in the mid-19th century, perhaps as early as 1830, it is a rare surviving one-room schoolhouse in the Town of Southampton, Long Island.
The restoration, made possible by a $50,500 matching grant from the Robert David Lion Gardiner Foundation, was carried out by carpenter Nathan Tuttle.
In addition to other work outside and inside the building, Tuttle replicated the benches and long desks that would have provided the setting for learning nearly two centuries ago. The schoolhouse could accommodate 40 children who were taught to read, write and learn the fundamental rules of arithmetic.
An important building in what was once the village of Red Creek on Peconic Bay near the border of Hampton Bays and Flanders, the schoolhouse served the children of a thriving community that was involved in shipbuilding, among other things.
In 1953, the museum purchased the building from William Hubbard for $400 and moved it to Southampton. It was the fifth and final relocation for the building, which had to be ferried across the Shinnecock Canal by barge. In Southampton, it took its place among other authentic buildings arranged on the museum grounds to represent a 19th-century village.
Since its arrival, the schoolhouse has been a popular destination for thousands of Southampton schoolchildren, who visit to learn what schooldays were like in the past. The Red Creek Schoolhouse is located at 17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton, New York.
Photo: Schoolhouse before and after, 2016 and 2018, courtesy Connor Flanagan.