The Irish Feis (a Gaelic word for festival) will be held at the Newburgh Heritage Center, 123 Grand Street. Doors will open at 3:00 P.M. to the sounds of the Newburgh Firefighters Pipe Band leading visitors from their headquarters just down the street.
The Society will debut a new exhibit highlighting notable Irish-American figures of the greater Newburgh area. Among those included in the exhibit are Captain David Crawford, veteran of the War of 1812 and community leader, and George Clinton, Revolutionary War Hero and first governor of New York. From Mount Saint Mary College, Professor James Cotter will read selections from the poetry of Yeats and Sister Murphy will sing Irish tunes.
Lawrence Bennett, former Town of Newburgh Supervisor and State Assemblyman is the honorary chairman of the event, being organized by local artist Gayle Clark Fedigan, who has led student art tours to Ireland in years past.
One of Mrs. Fedigan’s paintings will be raffled as will an “Irish Basket” filled with good donated by local vendors. All proceeds will benefit future programs of the Society’s Heritage Series.
An element of the Historical Society’s mission is to promote an appreciation for region’s rich culture. The annual Heritage Series has illustrated how “old world” traditions have integrated with and enriched the new life in Newburgh. Past immigrant heritage conversations have include Jewish, Italian, Greek, and Hungarian.
For more information on this Irish Feis, call the Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands at (845) 561-2585 or email email@example.com.
The Crawford House, located at 189 Montgomery Street within the City of Newburgh historic district, is opened for tours on Sundays between 1:00 P.M. and 4:00 P.M. during the 2014 season. View the “Made in Newburgh” exhibit, a temporary display open through the fall season. Admission is $5.00 per person. For more information about admission, tours, or programming please call (845) 561-2585.