Tag Archives: Catskills

Wilderness to Woodstock: Unique Catskills History Film Showing


By on

0 Comments

Williams house neversink (1893)The Time and the Valleys Museum will show a film on the history of the Catskill resorts from 1823 to 1974 on Sunday, October 22 at 2 p.m. on St. Rt. 55 in Grahamsville.

This story of the Catskill resorts from 1823 to 1974 was originally a slide presentation by Manville Wakefield, and narrated by Miles Ellison.

The Catskills have been a popular vacation area since the early 1800’s for famous artists and New Yorkers. Continue reading

Barn Restoration at the Lost Catskill Farm


By on

0 Comments

time and the valleys museum barnA talk on the 1870s barn restoration at the Lost Catskill Farm behind the Time and the Valleys Museum on St. Rt. 55 in Grahamsville, Sullivan County, NY, will be held on Sunday, October 15th at 2 pm.

Zeke Boyle of Beechwoods Barns, Narrowsburg NY, reconstructed the historic 1870s Huff Barn at the Museum’s Lost Catskill Farm with help from Robert V. Curry. Zeke will speak on the barn, including how the barn was dismantled by volunteers including Trustee David Forshay, the challenges in reconstructing a historic barn in a new location and a history of 19th century barns. Continue reading

Catskills Preservation and History Conference This Weekend


By on

0 Comments

Sullivan county map 1892The Liberty Museum & Arts Center in Sullivan County will host the 16h Annual Catskills Preservation and History Conference on Saturday and Sunday, August 26 and 27.

The events begin at 10 am on Saturday with the 22nd annual Architectural and Historical Tour, which this year will feature a behind the scenes look at two of the most iconic institutions in Sullivan County’s history, the Loomis Sanatorium and Grossinger’s resort, and explore the link between them. Continue reading

Volunteer Open House at the Time and the Valleys Museum


By on

0 Comments

Wanda Terwilliger of Napanoch (right) a long time museum volunteer, genealogist and researcher, is helping visitors learn about local history at Neversink History Afternoon, 2016The Time and the Valleys Museum will be hosting an Open House for potential volunteers on Sunday, May 21, from 1 to 3 pm at the Museum on St. Rt. 55, Grahamsville. Anyone interested in learning about volunteering can join current volunteers for refreshments, a museum tour and information on both volunteering and the museum’s activities. Attendees will learn about helping in the museum shop, at events and as an exhibit guide. Continue reading

Skiing in Sullivan County in the 1940s


By on

0 Comments

A publicity shot of the Christmas Hills ski area in Livingston Manor from circa 1950.It was in October of 1948 that what local newspapers called “Sullivan County’s first commercial ski slope” began to take shape.

It was Christmas Hills on DeBruce Road in Livingston Manor, and despite the claims, it was not the first ski operation in the county, as Liberty Winter Sports, Inc. had operated the Walnut Mountain ski hill in Liberty more than a decade before. Continue reading

Skiing Comes to the Sullivan County Catskills


By on

3 Comments

walnut mountainLong before the opening of Davos in Woodridge ushered in a new era in skiing in Sullivan County, before the Concord and Grossinger’s pioneered snowmaking techniques to service their rudimentary ski hills, and even before the Miller brothers operated Christmas Hills in Livingston Manor, skiing made its local debut at Walnut Mountain in Liberty.

In October of 1936, a corporation known as Liberty Winter Sports, Inc. purchased most of Walnut Mountain from Frank H. Mauer with plans to create a skiing facility at the site of the old Walnut Mountain House. Dr. S.W. Wells was president of the group, which also included B.K.J. Eenberg, Thomas P. McNamara, Albert T. Decker, Joseph E. Fersch, Paul H. Allen, and Gunnar Bjorgstrom. Joseph G. Dowling handled the publicity. Continue reading

The Borscht Belt: Remains of America’s Jewish Vacationland


By on

2 Comments

the-borscht-belt-bookThe Borscht Belt: Revisiting the Remains of America’s Jewish Vacationland (Cornell University Press, 2016) by Marisa Schenfeld, which features essays by Stefan Kanfer and Jenna Weissman Joselit, presents Scheinfeld’s photographs of abandoned sites where resorts, hotels, and bungalow colonies once boomed in the Catskill Mountain region of upstate New York. Today the Borscht Belt is recalled through the nostalgic lens of summer swims, Saturday night dances, and comedy performances. But its current state, like that of many other formerly glorious regions, is nothing like its earlier status. Forgotten about and exhausted, much of its structural environment has been left to decay.  Continue reading

Overlook Mountain Could Have Been Television Broadcasting Center


By on

0 Comments

headline from the Kingston Daily Freeman January 17 1953During the summer hiking season, one of the most popular destinations in the Catskills is Overlook Mountain. Sunny days will have the parking area, located across from a monastery on Mead Mountain Road in Woodstock, at overflow capacity. The hike to the summit, along a dirt road, is not especially grueling, though hikers can expect to do some heavy breathing as they near the top. Continue reading

In The Catskills: Headwaters History Days This Weekend


By on

0 Comments

headwaters history daysThe 2016 Headwaters History Days will take place from this weekend, June 3 – 5, and feature programs, exhibits, concerts, open houses, tours and workshops along the newly designated Catskill Mountains Scenic Byway (NYS Route 28).

Fifteen historic sites and organizations will celebrate the history, culture, folklife and landscape of the Central Catskills in this third annual event. Continue reading

Thomas Cole Site’s Inaugural Exhibit In “New Studio” Features Architecture


By on

0 Comments

New Studio oldThe Thomas Cole National Historic Site has announced the inaugural art exhibition in its “New Studio” building at the former home of Thomas Cole (1801-1848), founder of the first distinctly American art movement.

The New Studio, built in 1846, was designed by Cole, and demolished in 1973 before the historic site became a museum. The reconstruction, to be officially unveiled with the opening of the exhibition on May 1, 2016, provides the Site with museum-quality climate-controlled space for displaying art. The upcoming show will be the first to take advantage of that new capacity. Continue reading