On Wednesday July 19th the Historic Amsterdam League will sponsor a presentation by League trustee Jerry Snyder on the history and development of the city’s street railway system from its inception as a 1½ mile horse car railroad to its final days as part of one of the largest electric railroads in the region, stretching from Gloversville to Schenectady.
Amsterdam’s first streetcar rolled down the tracks of East Main Street on July 22nd, 1873; its last followed the same route in the early morning hours of June 29th, 1938, passing into history and for the most part, oblivion.
During the presentation, maps and photos of the trolley era will look back at historic Amsterdam, and “Ruins, Relics, and Remnants” will show where to still find trolley ruins hidden in plain sight. The extraordinary history of Car No. 29, the only remaining known Amsterdam city trolley car, which is currently at the Walter Elwood Museum awaiting restoration, will be discussed as well.
Snyder has researched the Amsterdam’s street railway system for years and has an extensive collection of artifacts relating to it and its successor, the Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville Railroad.
The presentation will be held in the common council chambers on the second floor of Amsterdam’s City Hall at 61 Church Street. A brief business meeting of the Historic Amsterdam League will follow the presentation. Refreshments will be served. The presentation and the meeting are free and open to the public.
The Historic Amsterdam League is a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to preserving, recording and disseminating the history of the city of Amsterdam, New York. For more information, visit the league’s website.
Photos from above: 25 at East Main and 28 at Rockton Wye courtesy collection of Jerry Snyder.