SPLIA will also present the Howard C. Sherwood Award for exceptional achievement in Historic Preservation and the Huyler C. Held Award for Publication Excellence at a ceremony to be held at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, April 27, 2014 hosted by Topping Rose House in Bridgehampton, NY.
Receiving awards will be:
• Roger Ferris + Partners LLC for design excellence in adapting the circa 1842 Topping Rose House in Bridgehampton, NY into a luxury inn and restaurant. The project combines the restoration of the main house and barn, a sympathetic new addition to the historic house, and modern new outbuildings on the site.
• The Rocky Point Historical Society for its outstanding achievement in community-based preservation and the successful acquisition of the historic Noah Hallock Homestead to be preserved and reused as a museum.
• The Yaphank Historical Society for its sustained outstanding achievement of promoting historic preservation within the Yaphank Historic District through outreach, education, partnerships, and special projects for forty years.
• The Howard C. Sherwood Award will be presented to Dr. Natalie Naylor for superior achievement in Historic Preservation through scholarship that advances the appreciation of Long Island History.
• The Huyler C. Held Award for excellence in publication will be presented to Mac Griswold for, The Manor: Three Centuries at a Slave Plantation on Long Island, a book that explores the rich historical narrative at Shelter Island’s Sylvester Manor.
As an advocate for historic environments on Long Island, the Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities (SPLIA) works to promote the appreciation and protection of the region’s cultural heritage. To enhance public awareness and to encourage standards of excellence, the Society’s Preservation Awards Program recognizes individuals, organizations, and projects that demonstrate extraordinary achievement in the field of historic preservation on Long Island.
Cost of attendance will be $20 for members and young preservationists (under 30) and $35 for non-members. Reservations are required by calling SPLIA at (631) 692-4664, Monday – Friday (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) or by visiting the website at www.splia.org.
Photo: Topping Rose House in Bridgehampton, NY (Courtesy of Roger Ferris + Partners LLC).