The Historic Districts Council, along with the Union Square Community Coalition (USCC) have been advocating for the designation of Tammany Hall for several years (USCC first asked for its designation in 1984). Finally, at the end of October the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) voted to designate Tammany Hall an individual landmark
Two years ago, the Landmarks Preservation Commission entered into a Stand Still Agreement with the building’s owner – which is a strategy the agency sometimes employs to work towards designation (essentially this is a legal agreement which says, for a proscribed period of time, the LPC agrees not to designate the property and the owner agrees not to demolish it). That plan seems to have worked, at the final designation meeting there was no opposition and a representative of the owner indicated that the owner was “not opposing the designation and looked forward to continuing the relationship with the LPC.”
Tammany Hall has a long history based in New York politics and in its later years, became synonymous with political corruption. The building was designed by Thompson Holmes and Converse and Charles B. Meyers, and was the last home of the fabled political club. The Tammany Society essentially ran New York City politics, and had great influence in New York State politics, from the 1790’s through the 1930’s. This 1929 Colonial Revival building was the Tammany Society’s final home and the facade decoration reflects the nativist affections of the Society. The building is now occupied by The New York Film Academy and The Union Square Theater.